|GLEN B. WEST
DRIVING BUSINESS STRATEGY WITH IT STRATEGY
Accomplished Senior Technology Executive who delivers and aligns IT strategies leveraging IT strengths and capabilities to effectively promote and extend the business strategy. A proven transformational leader who develops and leads high-performance teams inspired by a common vision and empowered by ownership of company success. A Change Agent who communicates transparent and coherent technology roadmaps with platform, technology and framework components that enhance the strategic possibilities of the business. Fluent in English and Spanish.
- Providing ‘Bet the Company’ Leadership When Failure is Not an Option: Selected by executive management to successfully lead/manage mission-critical projects for an internet service provider and a logistics software development company facing extinction. Both companies survive today.
- Strategies that Advance Development of Disruptive Technology Products: Developed technology strategies and roadmaps that enabled Fortune 500 companies to determine new product line feasibility, and its suitability for cloud and mobile apps platforms. Advised senior management on required Mobile Application Development tools, frameworks and skills.
- Results that Redefine Industry Standards for Growth: Built the IT and Marketing strategy for two start-ups that led to 1,800% paying customer increase in six months for one, and 800% annual revenue increase within six weeks for another. Created website and marketing campaign for real estate company delivering $6M in listing value contracts.
- Planning that Ensures Success: Developed Business Plan and Minimum Viable Product for an internet start-up that enabled early funding and a successful product launch. Drove implementation of an ITIL Asset and Configuration Management system for a transportation company following three earlier failed attempts to integrate IT and business unit assets, tickets and troubleshooting procedures.
Leveraging IT Frameworks to Pick the Right Tools and Solutions to Enterprise Challenges
Providing Strategic Direction and Leadership in Global Environments
GE Transportation, Atlanta, GA 2016 – 2017
GE Transportation is a $5B transportation and minding digital solutions company with 10,000 employees,
PRESALES ENTERPRISE SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT
Brought on to provide technical and business expertise critical to driving sales of digital solutions, including Positive Train Control (PTC) to multimillion-dollar enterprises, Class 1 Railroads and Sea Ports. Served as trusted advisor and strategic liaison between customers’ C-suite, Executives, Directors, and IT with GE’s Sales, Product Management, Project Management and IT functions.
- Providing Thought Leadership: Created and realized the vision for a PTC Analytics Product and development of customer-centric solutions for automated inspections, real time telemetry of remote moving assets and port/yard logistics. Chaired the GE Transportation Architects Roundtable.
- Enhancing the Visibility of the Company and its Products: Published several very well received internal whitepapers and external sales collateral documents on Positive Train Control (PTC), Real time train data acquisition, onboard networks and onboard security.
- Improving Logistics Security: Served as focal point for cybersecurity initiatives for GE Transportation customers. Secured $3M security implementation deal for onboard systems at North American Class 1 Railroad.
Norfolk Southern, Atlanta, GA 2009 – 2011
Norfolk Southern is a $24B national freight transportation company with 30,000 employees.
Retained in a consulting capacity working under the auspices of TEKsystems Inc. Drove development and implementation of a strategy for managing all new mobile computing assets for an industry-critical project.
- Providing Strategic Leadership Leveraging the Latest Advances in Technology: Developed corporate strategy for implementing cloud solutions, mobile application development, and mobile device management. Developed solution strategies for Positive Train Control (PTC) that mandates constant safety control of trains moving around the country in the event of operator failure.
- Architecting Strategic Initiatives Scalable to the Enterprise: Developed architectural designs for medium projects to multibillion-dollar programs focused on extending silo solutions to the full enterprise. Developed architectural frameworks, templates and standards for Enterprise Architecture team.
- Promoting Accountability for the Success of IT: Designed and implemented the first IT Departmental Performance Metrics program. Designed reference architectures, data models, patterns and SOA designs modeling the real-time state of the railroad using the TIBCO suite.
Niche Video Media LLC, Atlanta, GA 2012 – 2016
Niche Video Media is an internet start-up Video Content Delivery Management company.
CHIEF CUSTOMER OFFICER | CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER
Cofounded the company. Provided early leadership in the design and implementation of a viable product, as well as business and marketing strategies required to drive sales.
- Providing Strategic Leadership that Ensures Viability and Drives Growth: Developed and implemented the company’s Product Roadmap, Technology Roadmap, Market Messaging, Research and Development, Customer Relations and Product Sales Strategy. Crafted business plan and secured initial angel investment to fund operations for more than a year.
- Driving Growth: Grew the paying customer base 1,800% in six months with an aggressive targeted online marketing campaign.
- Improving the Customer Experience on a Global Basis: Effectively managed on and offshore User Experience, R&D and Marketing teams, and vendors supporting customers in 10 countries and 5 continents, while serving as the primary interface between the customer and the company.
Home Expo Gallery LLC, Atlanta, GA 2008 – 2012
Home Expo Gallery is a $7M commercial real estate company.
CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER
Brought on to create an attractive “homegrown” website replacing an ineffective third-party website. Managed all technical infrastructure and internal staff: network, hardware, software, VoIP. Responsibly managed the IT P&L.
- Empowering Ownership to Play a Strategic Role: Freed owners to focus on growing the company’s customer base, as well as its top and bottom line by managing all websites, blogs, marketing materials, SEO and print/online ad campaigns. Created interfaces with several external web service vendors.
- Driving Change that Dramatically Improves Performance: Created website and marketing campaign that generated an 8x revenue increase and achieved $6M in listing value contracts within six weeks after launch, while replacing a site that had not delivered a single lead for two years.
- Providing Strategic Leadership that Drives Global Expansion: Partnered with owners to redesign the business plan for international operations.
D&H Distributing, Harrisburg, PA 2008 – 2009
D&H Distributing is a $4B National Consumer Goods Distribution Company.
Conducted data analysis and modeling. Dramatically improved the quality and capabilities of databases utilized to cost-effectively determine price points for all products distributed by the company. Enhanced database standards and procedures, while transforming current databases into ones compatible with full n-tier separation of logic.
- Improving Database Performance, Integrity, Availability and Reliability: Evaluated and integrated tools for improving productivity of developers. Continually enhanced Java-based in-memory database supporting tens-of-millions of complex, dynamic pricing calculations per day. Proactively trained and mentored developers in database management techniques.
Earthlink, Atlanta, GA 2004 – 2008
Earthlink was a $1B National Internet Company.
PRINCIPAL (ENTERPRISE) ARCHITECT, 2006 – 2008
Promoted to provide virtual leadership and direction to a group of four architects across organizational boundaries, while mentoring a global team of >80 developers and leading the efforts of the Triage and Diagnosis Specialists comprising a portion of the company’s System Outage Emergency Response team.
- Providing Exemplary Team Leadership and Project Management: Served as ‘Virtual’ team lead of a Business Analysis group. Managed design and development phases of SDLC Process Improvement projects across a department of 110 people, seven languages and three database types. Led Municipal Wi-Fi OSS project from concept to launch in only six months. Implemented entire new application, and several new system and vendor integrations.
- Planning Strategically: Partnered with the Business Unit Product Managers on roadmap development and implementation planning.
- Optimizing Transaction Processing: Architected and designed critical application components, major systems, and integrations of Java and Progress systems that scale to tens of millions of business transactions per day on ~3 terabyte databases.
STAFF ARCHITECT, MIS, 2004 – 2006
Joined the company and served as its first formal architect committed to improving the performance of the development organization. Served as a Change Agent bringing order to chaos. Drove creation and adoption of standards and best practices by the development organization.
- Improving the Customer Experience through Systems Integration: Integrated business (OSS) systems for sales, billing, rating, mediation, fulfillment and provisioning, with infrastructure systems (call flow, AAA, Radius) to provide real-time interaction on systems scaled to handle six million customers and tens-of-millions of logins/authentications per day.
- Setting the Foundation for a High-Performance Development Organization: Developed and enforced coding standards, while introducing new tools and technologies that optimized development performance.
- Bringing New Products to Market: Planned and directed the development and launch of two VoIP products, integrating OSS systems with voice infrastructure systems. Guided the efforts of >80 professionals that launched both products ahead of aggressive schedules.
Early career success as Computer Programmer, US Army; Branch Development Manager, Software Solutions Unlimited; Senior Developer | Development Lead, Washington Schools Information Processing; Senior Developer | Team Lead, Advanced Technology Labs; Senior Developer | Database Administrator, Medtronic Physio-Control, and as President | Founder, Techsmiths Inc.
Education, Certifications and Professional Development
Executive MBA, Georgia State University (3.96 GPA, 2012) BSIT with honors, University of Phoenix (4.0 GPA, 2009)
Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS), SQLServer 2008 implementation, 6/2010 | The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF 8 Certified), 5/2009 | Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP), 4/2008 | Six Sigma Green Belt, Villanova University, 12/2007 | Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification, 12/2007 – 12/2014 | Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) 1.2, August 2007 | Toastmasters Advanced Communicator Bronze and Advanced Leader Bronze, 2006 – 2007 | Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) ITSM Practitioner Certification, 2006 | Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL); Foundation Certification, 2005